Do you have an unhealthy obsession with Tomatoes?
Do you find food without Tomatoes offensive?
Or maybe it is someone’s birthday and they asked you to get them Tomatoes as a present?
Just look at this image of red juicy tomatoes for 2 minutes and you’ll know what I mean.
In this blog, I will teach you exactly how to add fuel to your obsession of tomatoes or of those closest to you.
From the past one and a half months that I’ve spent in Italy, my appreciation for this juicy vegetable has multiplied. The reason being obvious in the following pictures of Pizza and Pasta.
When you put this Pizza in your mouth, the Tomato juices along with the mozzarella cheese just encapsulates your taste buds while the basil and oregano make sure to not let go of your tongue. Basically you’d look like this:
How I wish I could bring this piece of Italy back home. I genuinely believe that this divine food can end so many fights.
Imagine someone is arguing with you on some bullshit topic. Just stuff this Pizza into their mouth and watch as the hate transforms into love.
I took the next picture before dinner. I snapped it with shaking hands because I was trying really hard to keep my shit together and not eat it before a proper picture. I cooked this with my room-mate at the university kitchen and we’ve been literally depending on this “invention” during our stay.
If you want a break from your work, you make Spaghetti! It works best if you make it with your friends. It is so much more fun when you share food together. Cooking with friends is a great way to strengthen your friendship and it makes sense. Both of you are literally helping each other survive. One thing I learnt about friendship during my stay in Italy is that you only truly love someone when you share your own limited resources with them.
Anyways, I digress.
I want you to cook this spaghetti with tomato sauce at least once a week!
It is important that you invite a friend or a relative over to help you with the cooking. If that’s not possible, cooking under the glaring eyes of your cat, dog or cockatiel works too.
The recipe below serves two people. Here we go:
Ingredients for Spaghetti:
- 1 pack of spaghetti
- A deep cooking pan filled with water to the top
- 2 tbsp of cooking oil
- Salt (to taste)
- Fill a pot with water and put it on high heat on the stove.
- Pour out the contents of the spaghetti pack into the pan. I prefer breaking the spaghetti in half.
- Add appropriate amount of salt and cooking oil.
- Leave it to boil on medium heat. You will know that it is cooked when the spaghetti is soft to eat. (Check after 20 minutes).
- Once cooked, filter the pasta from the water and spread it out evenly on two plates.
Ingredients for Tomato Sauce:
4 tbsp. of sunflower or olive oil
1 medium-sized red onion (cut into small cubes)
1 clove of garlic (crushed)
4 fresh tomatoes (cut into small cubes) or 1 can of tomato paste.
Salt (to taste)
6 tbsp. of freshly squeezed lemon juice
Instructions for the sauce:
- Add oil into a sauce pan and then fry the onions on high heat until crisp brown. (VERY IMPORTANT STEP). It shouldn’t be burnt though.
- Then add the garlic and sauté for 10 seconds.
- Then add tomatoes! (That’s the exciting part)
- Keep mixing until the sauce thickens and then add salt and lemon juice. Make sure you add the right amount of salt. Keep tasting it after every addition of salt.
- Put on low heat for a few seconds and then remove.
- Pour the sauce over the spaghetti and sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese on top.
Now take a deep breath, relax and enjoy this savory tomato filled fun!